First, I will tell you a few things to keep in mind before buying a water purifier for your Home. I would suggest you read the steps I had mentioned below to make the right decision.
I will list the things to keep in mind first, and then I will explain in detail each step. So that would make things simple and clear to you.
- Source of Water coming to your Home
- Hardness or TDS level of Water you have
- Type of purifying technologies available
- Purifying technologies needed for you home
- After support provided by the Brand of water purifier
So let me start to explain in detail about each thing mentioned above.
Best Water Purifier Buying Guide: Deep in Debt
Source of Water coming to your Home
The primary factor in buying a water purifier is by knowing which type of Water is used in your Home. It is because Water from different sources has a different level of bacterias or micro-organisms, which may be harmful to your health and dissolved salts that are not required for your body.
The purifier must also help in removing heavy metals like lead, arsenic, mercury, etc. from the Water too. The heavy metals should be removed as the immune system cannot remove it, and it will start accumulating in our body, causing health problems.
Some water sources may contain very harmful bacteria, viruses, and germs, which may cause water-borne diseases like cholera, typhoid, etc. I would prefer you to choose a water purifier by keeping all these in mind and don’t go for cheap and low-quality water purifier. It is a matter of your health, my friend.
Just calculate how much you might spend on doctor fees and medications if you get ill. So choose wisely. Below I will provide you with details on the source of Water, micro-organism level, hardness, Water, etc. Details below are from water sources in India.
Underground or Borewell or Tanker Supplied Water
- Harmful Micro-organism Level – Very High in Bacteria, Virus and other Germs
- Hardness or TDS level – Hard Water and Very High TDS
- Recommended Purifier – RO+UV Type Underground or Tube Well or Salty Water
- Harmful Micro-organism Level – Bacteria and Viruses are Low
- Hardness or TDS level – High hardness and TDS level
- Recommended Purifier – RO Type Source from Surface Water like River, Lakes or Rain Harvesting Plans
- Harmful Micro-organism Level – Low germs, bacteria, and viruses in Water.
- Hardness or TDS level – The Water will be soft
- Recommended Purifier – UV or Ultra Violet Type
Hardness or TDS level of Water you Use.
In the above table, I had mentioned a technical word that is TDS or Hardness of Water. The full form of TDS is Total Dissolved Salts. TDS helps us to calculate the hardness and softness of Water you use. The Water we get from well, or tank suppliers contains a lot of salts and impurities in it. These must be removed from the Water as it is harmful to our body.
These impurities even include heavy metals like lead, mercury, and very harmful arsenic. The immune system of our body cannot remove the heavy metals, so we should purify the Water from these and use them. Stacking of these heavy metals in ou body may cause health issues and reduce our lifespan. These are very much harmful to children in the long run.
This is where the RO purifier comes into action. The RO purifier cleanses the Water and makes it fit for drinking.
So now, How to check the Hardness or TDS level of Water manually?
To check the hardness and TDS of Water, you must buy a TDS meter, which you can easily buy online. TDS meters are not that costly to buy, and it ranges between Rs.350- Rs.1000. I would recommend HM TDS Meter or Divine DI-003 TDS Meter, which will cost you around Rs.300 to Rs.500. People prefer this because of the accuracy these products provide. In my Home, we had used HM Meter personally, and I guarantee you on that. HM TDS Meter also shows you the temperature reading.
Below is the TDS reading showing the purity and hardness of water; you can use it to check.
TDS Reading and purity of Water you Use
- 0-80 – Ideal Drinking Water and Very Soft Water
- 80-15 – It is soft water and can be used for drinking
- 150-400 – Hard Water and use an RO Purifier
- 400 and Above – It is Very Hard Water and uses a RO+UV Purifier
Purifying Technologies available in Best Water Purifiers
I will list down the best purifier technologies used, and then I will explain each of them. That will be better for you to understand easily.
Technologies available in the Best Water Purifiers:
- RO or Reverse Osmosis Technology
- UV or Ultra Violet Technology
- UF or Ultra Filtration technology
Now, I will tell you in detail about each technology used.
1. RO or Reverse Osmosis Technology
This technology is used in water purifiers, which are used to purify Salty, Hard, and High TDS Level water. This technology converts high TDS and Hard Water to water fit for drinking. In this process, Water is passed under high pressure through a semi-permeable membrane to remove even minute impurities.
RO water purifier needs electricity and produces a lot of wastewater.
2. UV or Ultra Violet Technology
In this process, a rod is placed inside the body of a water purifier, which continuously produces UltraViolet radiation. The UV radiations are made to pass through the Water, which destroys the germs in the Water. This technology mainly helps in killing germs, bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms present in the Water. They do not remove dissolved salts and impurities.
This technology uses electricity, but it doesn’t produce wastewater.
3. UF or Ultra Filtration Technology
In this process, threads of microfibers are used for filtration. Water will be passed through the microfibers threads, which will remove the impurities like salt from Water. This process is mainly from plants and trees which use its root fibers as filtering water.
Which Purifying technology do you need?
Guess you know the hardness of Water you use now. You can check with these purifying technologies below. I had mentioned which is best for all kinds of Water.
1. RO Water Purifiers: are used for purifying Water with high salt, which is harmful to health. They use a semi-permeable membrane for the purification process. I had mentioned about the RO technology in the above section.
2. UV Water Purifiers: is used mainly to make the water germ free and fit to drink. UV Purifiers keeps us away from viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms, which cause diseases like typhoid, cholera, etc.
3. Water purifier using gravity: It is one of the best water purifiers in India which doesn’t need any electricity. These pure pressure, severity, and chamber based technology. The Water will flow from an upper chamber to a lower chamber. In between both chambers, a germ-killing kit will be fixed, which purifies the Water. Gravity based water purifiers are suitable for cleaning soft Water, which contains very low dissolved salts. You can purchase these purifiers at a very reasonable price ranging from Rs.1000 to Rs.4000.
4. Technology Fusion: These are universal purifiers that use a fusion of technologies. This kind can purify all types of Water purifier. It uses RO, UV, and UF technologies together to give you the best and clean Water to drink. This water purifier is a fully automatic purifier which even checks the water level and uses the best technology needed for the type of Water. Universal purifiers remove all germs and dissolved salts from the Water.
Brand Genuity and After Support
The final and essential step for buying a water purifier in India. After you decided which water purifier to buy, next is to determine what Brand of water purifier to buy—most of the people at this stage to go for the cheapest Brand. My dear friend, when it is related to health, go for the best brands. Small brands will be using cheap quality materials. So go for good brands.
After two or three months of purchase, you want to get the purifier serviced. This is the main reason I recommend to go for good brands. Big brands give you superb after-sales support. Yes, it will indeed cost a bit extra for the big shots, but keep in mind it is worth it. More prominent brands also use high-quality membranes, filters, and germ kills, which run for a more extended period.