It will likely be challenging if you dislike what you do. As such, your interests and personality type are a few things to consider while picking a job. Meanwhile, you’ve probably heard the saying that “accountants have all the fun.” While most think of accountants as boring pencil-pushers who crunch numbers, these professionals get to do much more than just keep track of money.
The accounting field offers many career paths and growth opportunities, so you can find an exciting job that suits your interests and abilities. However, you might be confused about whether choosing an accounting career is a good choice. If so, here are some things you should know before making your decision:
- Accounting is a lucrative career, so lucrative that it can take time to choose what aspect of accounting you want to focus on. Meanwhile, accountants earn a good salary, which varies by industry and region, but the average starting salary is $55,000. So, consider this profession if you have an eye for detail and enjoy working with numbers.
- An accounting career is a great choice for people who want job security and steady growth. Accounting skills are used in all types of businesses and organisations to help manage financial information, solve problems, and provide assistance to those who need it. And because of the highly transferable nature of accounting skills, there are a variety of fields and industries where an accountant can be successful.
- Accounting is a level playing field because employers hire based on skills rather than your ability to impress them in person. This means you can be hired without meeting the employer in person. In addition, because many accountants work remotely from home or coworking space and use technology like Skype for important meetings, it is easy to audition for an accounting gig without ever stepping foot inside a corporate office.
- Accountants are in demand, and you can find accounting jobs in various industries. They work for small businesses, large corporations, NGOs and governments. So with an accounting degree and certification from a good institution, you’ll have the skills to succeed in any industry.
- Accountants help businesses by analysing their financial information and advising them on improving their operations, so they generate more revenue. They can also help individuals manage their money better by guiding budgeting and debt management strategies.
You Can Work for Yourself
As an accountant, you can work for yourself and be your own boss. There are many opportunities to work for yourself, such as being a freelance accountant or starting an accounting firm. Likewise, you will want to set up your own company to bill clients and get paid directly by them. Suppose you don’t want to start a business from scratch. In that case, many other options are available, such as working with another company that allows contractors or hiring one as an independent contractor.
This is one of the benefits of being an accountant; you have the option of working for yourself without having to go into debt or take out loans because all of these costs are covered through your client’s payment process. You also have complete freedom regarding setting rates; they’re determined entirely by how much time goes into solving specific problems related directly to each issue. And if one client doesn’t pay their invoice within 30 days, it doesn’t matter because another person will pay their invoice immediately.
Accounting is a great career choice for people who like numbers and who enjoy giving back. It’s an ideal choice for those looking to travel or change jobs. Accounting is wide-ranging, and the job opportunities are endless. So if you choose accounting as your profession, you will have the opportunity to earn a good salary and work independently. In addition, there is very little competition for these jobs.